We really are quite spoiled. As Americans, we’re not used to a politically correct culture and we’re more apt to voice our opinions…… free speech, right? At Q Tree, we practice free speech but citizens in most countries don’t enjoy the same kind of liberty. Two days ago, MAGA Mom began an interesting discussion on the threats to free speech and censorship of conservatives. Her post is worthy of its own thread.
From MAGA Mom:
More on the Social Media “changes” and “updates” … ie systematic guards against conservative success and effectiveness on social media and the internet in general. This is such an important topic that, after reading what was posted here the last two days, I spent most of the morning thinking about it.
What has surprised me to some extent is the success of the leftists at purging conservatives and establishing bias practices against them not just on social media and search engines but of all platforms and even businesses such as banks shutting down accounts of conservative organizations and even conservative businesses and now, it seems, WP. They already used these methods in the “news”/MSM, entertainment industry and on college campuses as well as rewriting history and silencing conservatism in school curriculum across the nation.
We have seen the increase of silencing on social media, search engines and the internet in general coming pre 2016 but the speed is greatly increasing and although encased in Orwellian, leftist/globalist double speak, is clearly targeting Conservatives and seeking to limit grassroots movements driven by the citizenry of the US.
We should not at all be surprised for the following reasons:
1) The social media and internet companies are staffed by majority leftists as seen by their ideologies and contributions
2) They contribute to leftists politicians
3) They have suppressive work environments, persecuting and purging conservative employees – if they think it is ok to do this to employees/coworkers why wouldn’t they think it is ok to do to unknown strangers across the web?
4) They work with repressive, socialist, far leftist and even communist countries around the world, obeying their laws and cooperating with horrific human rights abusers, then applying those same censorship rules to the free citizens of the US
5) They not only work with and emulate these communist countries, they Invest in these countries and Receive income from these countries!!!! Their corporate life is now dependent on these countries!! They have voluntarily become subservient and dependent. They are now of questionable loyalty to the US, to US citizens and to our God given freedoms as explicitly stated in and thus protected by our Constitution. At best they have dual loyalty and can be used by our economic competitors and even national enemies. At worst, and sadly this seems to be true at times, they are voluntarily assisting our economic competitors and national enemies against us.
6) They have a proven track record of working against freedom of expression, private citizens speaking up and organizing in conservative grassroots movements and suppressing conservative voices via their “rules”, biased searches and manipulation of likes, rankings, etc. They were Already leftist biased and it wasn’t enough. This is not new – its just more of what they were already doing!
7) And the most important reason that we ought not be surprised by this is because they explicitly told us they were going to work very hard and diligently to do exactly what they are now doing! After the 2016 loss, there were many articles analyzing the damage caused by the policies in place in social media and internet search engines, etc., that either inadvertently helped President Trump win or did not do enough to stop him, and the citizens of the US in their grassroots efforts, from winning. They vowed to change purposefully to work against such success by conservatives, private citizens and President Trump in 2020 and beyond.
And now they are doing just that! When our enemy shows who they are and states what they intend to do, we ought to believe them!
This morning I have gone back and reviewed what they were saying directly after “their” loss (and, yes, most of the owners, their employees, the MSM, the “journalists” covering the Dem loss (v. GOP win) and the role social media played in 2016 viewed it as a personal loss, a defeat, that they as employees and companies had failed because the election was “lost”. What is happening is exactly what they promised the followers and voters on loonely left and of the dangerous dems that they would do.
For those interesting in digging, in reminding ourselves of the background and how we got here as well as insight into where these companies are going, here are a collection of articles that I have read/re-read this morning examining fake news on social media (interesting what some consider fake news) and the role of allowing all voices onto social media.
Google was already doing they could, both as private citizens, as employees with google as their tool and as a corporation, to get Hillary elected/defeat President Trump
and 2ndly, this election effort and the vow to do “better”, ie defeat conservative voices online and defeat them in elections, is show in their corporate setting
and more insider view of google employee thinking
2018 article proving google bias
Notable quote from the below NPR article: “It’s too late to fix these problems for this election, but a look to the social networks of tomorrow might offer some hope.”
They all knew what an important role social media played. Another thought: Maybe social media was a reflection of the populace thoughts v. playing a role in shaping them? Maybe leftists leaders just hadn’t talked to or heard from those outside of their bubble so clearly and loudly before social media made it possible for flyover country to be heard?
This is a study that is more of a “deep dive”. I would like to know the criteria they used to define “fake news” as I saw MUCH more fake news geared toward smearing President Trump than Hillary
Quote from the study’s conclusion: “both Facebook and Google are removing fake news sites from their advertising platforms on the grounds that they violate policies against misleading content. Furthermore, Facebook **has taken steps** to identify fake news articles, flag false articles as “disputed by 3rd
party **fact-checkers**,” show fewer potentially false articles in users’ news feeds, and help users avoid accidentally sharing false articles by notifying them that a story is “disputed by 3rd parties” before they share it. In our theoretical framework, these actions may increase social welfare, but identifying fake news sites
and articles also raises important questions about who becomes the arbiter of truth.” (emphasis added, citations removed for smoother reading)
Hillary and many other “leaders” have pushed for more censorship on social media as gateway points out and as was already happening in 2017 & 2018
2017 (Yes, from daily wire, yuck, never trump and fake newser himself from Trump campaign of ’16 but this is a fitting article)
Lastly, a leftist take on the censorship, claiming it isn’t biased because the purged were just breaking the rules. To that I say, yes, they were breaking the rules but are all rule breakers being equally purged? If leftist and conservative rule breakers are not being equally purged, held equally to the same rules then it IS anti conservative bias!
So what we Do and how do we politically fight back and how do we insist on the market place remaining open to conservatives and conservative ideas?
__________ End to MAGA Mom’s post.
From there, Aubergine, SingingSoul, Scott467, Wolfie, many others chipped in with great ideas.
Thought it might be time for us all to address this issue. I recall how we all felt, before President Trump decided to run, after the Romney loss. We felt alone. Living in the years of the Obama Admin, we felt like the world was upside down. Was everyone crazy? President Trump’s run for office was successful, in part, because we realized we were not alone. We found our voice……
…… and we will never be silenced again.